Individuality: We work with students as individuals and encourage each dancer’s own creativity and uniqueness.
Financial: We are strongly committed to making dance opportunities available to all students regardless of ability to pay. Need-based and merit-based scholarships are available each semester. Applications are due prior to the start of each semester.
Gender: We welcome dancers of all genders.
Ability: We encourage dancers of all abilities, typical and atypical, to give our classes a try. We do our best to accommodate each dancer’s unique needs within the limits of our resources, studio features, staff expertise, student:teacher ratio, and other factors. If your or your child’s needs are atypical, please talk with the Director before registering to determine whether a particular class will be appropriate, and, if necessary, what accommodations are possible.
Accessibility: Our studio has two entrances, one on Main Street and one on Green Street Extension. The Green Street entrance (across from the Shriners Hall) provides access without stairs. Please contact us with questions.
Registration & Payment
- Class level is at the discretion of the Director. Please contact the studio for help in determining class level.
- Invoices are sent via email after registration is complete. We accept cash, check, or credit card payments.
- Payment is due in full before the second class unless other arrangements have been made with the Director.
All clothing must fit properly. Dancers are welcome to dress according to the gender they identify with. Hair must be secure. It is inappropriate and distracting to adjust hair and clothing during class.
Ballet & Pointe
Male: Black leggings/tights, white T-shirt, slippers, dance belt (for age 11+)
Female: Pink tights, leotard (see color specifications below), slippers or pointe shoes, hair up and secure
Leotard colors by level
Ballet I: Pink
Ballet II: Lavender
Ballet III: Burgundy
Ballet IV: Navy Blue
Ballet V: Black
Ballet VI: Dancer’s choice
Creative Dance & Pre-Ballet
Dancer’s choice, bare feet (ballet shoes optional for pre-ballet only)
Embodyoga Pilates/Embody Pilates
Leggings or comfortable stretchy pants, and a comfortable shirt.
Comfortable pants and shirt, clean sneakers (that have not been worn outdoors)
Leggings or shorts, leotard or fitted shirt, jazz shoes
Modern & Dunham
Comfortable long pants (preferably no shorts); bare feet (socks when absolutely necessary)
Comfortable pants and shirt, tap shoes.
- Be early! A wise teacher once said: “Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable!” You should arrive with ample time to change, use the restroom, get water, warm up, and focus yourself for class before class begins.
- Respect the teacher with your mind, heart, and body. Our teachers are experts in their field and have studied and practiced for many years. Listen actively and attentively in class. Do not turn your back while someone is demonstrating or speaking. Do not speak when the teacher is speaking or others are dancing. Show that you are engaged by standing tall and keeping your eyes on the teacher or demonstrator. Do not cross your arms across your chest, yawn, fidget, look bored or tired, etc.
- Do not contradict the teacher. If you have a question or disagreement, please stay after class to discuss so that you may reach an understanding.
- Do not correct other dancers. Only the teacher and their officially appointed assistant(s) may correct a dancer. It is not appropriate for students to correct other students.
- Bring a positive attitude to class! Accept corrections as helpful feedback that will improve your dancing. Show your appreciation by working hard and doing your best.
- Pack a water bottle! Water helps regulate your body temperature, lubricate your joints, and so much more. Staying hydrated is a must for any physical activity.
- Check in! Please check in using your name and your class at the front desk when you arrive or before you head into the studio. This helps our studio run smoothly.
- Have fun! Dance is a wonderful way to express yourself, to work out, and to improve brain function.
- Get plenty of rest! Sleep is the time when our bodies restore and heal themselves.
- Use the bathroom before class! Some teachers give a break halfway through the class. Other teachers do not give breaks. Know what your teacher wants.
- Work hard. Work smart. Be aware of aches and pains, fatigue, thirst, and hunger. Your body is your instrument. Eat a good breakfast and pack a snack in your dance bag. Plan to eat a few snacks as well as meals in your busy dance day.
Absences and injuries:
- No excuses! Come to class if you can, even if you can only observe.
- If you must miss a class, please inform the studio before class begins.
- If you are sick with a potentially contagious illness, please do not attend class.
- If you choose to take class with a pre-existing injury, please alert the teacher prior to the start of class and take responsibility for marking and non-disruptive self-care as needed.
- If you are injured during class, alert the teacher immediately in the least disruptive way possible.
- When marking a combination, please do so with attention and energy. Never mark your arms unless they are injured.
- Always be your best self at BSD. Exercise kindness, generosity, and honor.
- Lift up the spirits of those around you. Support and cheer on your classmates.
- Speak kindly of others always – to their face and behind their back.
- Practice empathy. Give others the benefit of the doubt. You may not know the whole story.
- Show leadership for younger and less experienced dancers. Include and engage people outside your age, level, and comfort zone.
In our space:
- Street shoes should be removed upon entering the studio. This applies to both parents and dancers.
- Clean up after yourself and encourage others to do the same.
- Always leave the studios, dressing room, and waiting area better than you found them.
- Only water is allowed in the dance studios. Food and beverages are also allowed in the waiting area and the dressing rooms.
- Put away all food and beverages when you are done with them.
- Please observe recycling/trash/compost signs and put your waste in the proper container every time.
All members of the BSD community have the right to feel safe and protected from bullying.
Bullying physically or emotionally harms a person, targets a person in a negative way for any actual or perceived characteristic, and/or creates a hostile environment in the dance studio. Bullying will not be tolerated in any form – direct or indirect, physical, emotional, social, verbal, written, electronic, or otherwise.
Bullying threatens the very heart and soul of BSD. Even one documented bullying event will have repercussions under our zero tolerance policy. Immediate termination of enrollment may be imposed for egregious violations.
We recognize that bullying does not just occur between students. Anyone witnessed bullying or harassing another student, parent, or BSD staff member will be sanctioned.
If you or your child are being bullied, please alert a teacher or the director as soon as possible. You may speak directly with someone or you may anonymously report an incident in the Bullying Box located in the back office. Each situation of bullying is unique and will be treated with urgency, proactivity, and sensitivity by the director and staff.
All participants must sign a Signature Page at the start of each dance year certifying that they have read this document, understand it in its entirety, and agree to be bound by its terms, before participating in classes.